Posted on July 23 2012
KEEPERS IV: Flights of Fancy promises to whisk you away from the everyday with a showcase of six magical artisans.
Singapore, July 23, 2012 – Taking aim at the mundane and the conventional, the upcoming Carrie K. Keepers event will showcase artisans that turn the classical idea of artisanship on its head. Conceived for individuals who appreciate the quirky and unique, Flights of Fancy will provide an escape from a cookie cutter world into one of nonsensical creativity.
Carrie K. will launch a capsule charm collection that marries tradition with a bit of whimsy, while guest artisans range from a milliner who once dressed the Crown Princess of Denmark to a radical mixologist who uses ingredients from wasabi to truffle in his tipple.
Carrie K.’s latest addition to the Mint collection will couple traditional pearls and garnets with quirky silver charms: from flying pigs to wedges of cheese. The charms are available in solid silver or plated with 14k rose gold. Guests can have jewellery customized.
The Carrie K. Atelier too will be transformed into a trove of nonsensical delights: lilies and hydrangeas will sit alongside pitcher plants in the courtyard, offset by a wall of words grown from moss. Guests can watch terrariums being built in real time and enjoy a decadent spread of macaroons, berry tartlets and petite cheesecakes while sipping cocktails specially created for the day. Those who fancy fashion will also find curvaceously contemporary and flattering cheongsams and dresses along with outrageously fanciful hats – think hand-draped, free flowing shapes and butterflies about to take flight.
The artisans for Keepers IV:
• Priscilla Shunmugam aims to banish the misconception that traditional Asian wear,such as the cheongsam, is only for particular frames. Womenswear label Ong Shunmugam makes Asian inspired clothing wearable by those of all proportions, with attention to detail and a painstakingly honed craft. Constructed from textiles scoured from the depths of Sri Lanka to Cambodia by Shunmugam herself to ensure originality and tradition are mingled in her clothing.
• Chee Sau Fen, of Heads of State Millinery, designs sustainable, statement hats.Using Abaca fabric sourced from a Filipino tribe, Chee combines novel use of a heritage fabric with radical design. The material allows for the creation of a light yet sturdy and weatherproof hat. Singapore’s heat and humidity can no longer be an excuse to prevent stylish women from donning that statement hat.
• Melissa Wang, is an events stylist and provider of tasteful, whimsical venue décor and tablescapes. Wonderland for Detailed Planners is the answer for those who want to inject some life, literally, into event decoration with tablescapes that incorporate live guppies and plants. Products from the newly opened Shop Wonderland, for creative individuals to transform their own events and homes, will be for sale. Wonderland breathes fresh air into the craft of gardening with microcosmic terrariums that tell a story.
• Eileen Tay, of ET Artisan Sweets, a bespoke cake boutique that uses traditional French culinary techniques and the finest ingredients to craft desserts with love and dedication to design. Tay will showcase her dessert table of macaroons, tarts and cakes styled with splashes of blue, red, gold and teal to reflect the mood of the event.Tay also creates bespoke desserts for clients using one-off recipes.
• Ethan Leslie Leong, director of bar operations and head mixologist at Maison Ikkoku- house of imaginative cocktails, master mixology, fashion and specialty coffee will create two new cocktails at Keepers IV. One of which, a Carrie K. inspired cocktail – ‘Cheeky Provocation’ is available at Maison Ikkoku until August 25th. Inspired by people and places, Leong uses eclectic ingredients to concoct radical and delectable cocktails you won’t find anywhere else.
"Real life is terribly serious, and play is a necessary ingredient to life. By injecting a dose of nonsense into peoples lives we aim to kick start people’s imagination,” says Carolyn Kan, founder and designer of Carrie K. Artisan Jewellery. "And for those creative individuals who may not have the time or skills to bring their ideas to life, we have brought together a group of very imaginative artisans who are able to customize pieces of work to suit the most fanciful requests."
Keepers a quarterly artisan showcase held at the Carrie K. Atelier, aims to cultivate a community that appreciates the work of independent designers and artisans. The showcase provides guests with the opportunity to meet the designers, and recognize the story and meaning behind each lovingly crafted product.
Keepers IV: Flights of Fancy will be held at the Carrie K. Atelier on August 25, 2012 from 2-7pm at 136 Bukit Timah Road, Singapore 229838
About Carrie K. Artisan Jewellery:
Carrie K. marries artisan-crafted jewellery with playful provocation that challenges the traditional notion of what makes something precious and desired. We see beauty in imperfection, marvel at the mundane in everyday life and celebrate the old & discarded. Carrie K.’s collections are aimed at men and women with an individual sense of style and those who want to inject some playfulness into their life. Each piece of jewellery is handcrafted the old way, with great time and care. Established in July 2009, Carrie K. won the ELLE Awards Jewellery Designer of the Year in 2010. Carrie K. is available online at CarrieKrocks.com as well as several stockists in Singapore.
For a complete list, please visit: http://www.carriekrocks.com/CarrieK/Stockists.aspx
Fact Sheet: About the Guest Artisans
Ong Shunmugam is a Singapore- based label, straddling ready-to-wear and customised Women’s wear. The brand provokes a re-evaluation of traditional Asian dress beyond assumption and stereotype. Layers of Asian aesthetic, textile and sartorial history inform the label’s new take on old fashion and its mission to engage the modern woman in dialogue about origin and identity. Employing intuition along with information, Ong Shunmugam believes that clothing should be cerebral yet wearable.
In December 2010, Ong Shunmugam was launched with its first ready-to-wear collection, Orientalism and in September 2011, debuted its first cheongsam collection, Guardianship. In October 2011, Atelier Ong Shunmugam opened its doors in downtown Raffles Place, Singapore.
In July 2012, Key pieces from the label’s upcoming Prints Charming collection will be stocked in New York at cult-label institution, Pixie Market.
16 Raffles Quay, B1-36 Hong Leong Building, Singapore 048581
65 6223 4804 (by appointment only)
Heads of State Millinery
Heads of State Millinery, designs sustainable statement hats for fashion leaders everywhere. By applying radical redesign to the art of hat making, Heads of State Millinery works to create fresh application of regional indigenous craft traditions and overlooked raw materials Heads of State Millinery champions ecological and ethically responsible development. With each statement hat, wearers join the designer and the communities involved in turning heads and changing minds with sustainable design. After 15 years in the visual arts and event industries the self-taught designer Chee Sau Fen established Heads of State Millinery mid 2011. Chee, won the sustainable fashion design competition, Fashionably Sustainable, organized by the Singapore Textile and Fashion Federation in September 2011, and presented her “Neo Tribe” hats at the Audi Fashion Festival catwalk in Singapore in May 2012 as a part of local fashion designer Max Tan’s 2013 Pre-Spring collection.
In 2011, the designer was commissioned by the National Institute for Experimental Arts (NIEA) at College of Fine Arts, University of New South Wales to design a sustainable statement hat for HRH The Crown Princess Mary of Denmark.
Melissa Wang, founder of ‘Wonderland for Detailed Planners’ and ‘Shop Wonderland’, specializes in styling the aesthetics of events and weddings. She started the business in 2010 with the introduction of Tiffany chair hires. Through the inception of Shop Wonderland this year, which retails décor products and flowers, she makes the Wonderland’s signature whimsical style more accessible to consumers.
Shop Wonderland, 53 Haji Lane, 12pm to 9pm (Daily)
Tel: +65 6299 5848
ET Artisan Sweets
ET Artisan Sweets is a bespoke cake boutique, specialising in Parisian macaroons, cupcakes, celebration and wedding cakes, dessert tables and events. With the belief in purity of taste and the art of eating well, ET Artisans Sweets celebrates the nourishing goodness of natural flavours. Designed to deliver exquisite taste, the desserts are made using finest ingredients from around the world.ET Artisan Sweets' creations evolve seasonally. Employing traditional French culinary techniques – with an American twist – each sweet is handcrafted and baked in small batches to ensure freshness and quality.
32 Holland Grove Road, Henry Park Apartments, Singapore 278807
Monday – Saturday 9:30am – 6:00pm
(65) 6468 6700
Maison Ikkoku or ‘House of the Moment’ officially opened its cocktail bar, following the establishment of its artisanal coffee joint and multi-label menswear boutique in September 2011. Sitting on the third level of the three storey shop house, the semi-alfresco cocktail bar, in the Kandahar Street enclave, offers a captivating view of Singapore’s skyline. Ethan Leslie Leong, creator of experimental and radical cocktails, pioneers the Maison Ikkoku cocktail bar. Leong takes mixology a step further with his employment of unconventional ingredients combined with novel techniques.
Maison Ikkoku Bar, 20 Kandahar Street, Singapore 198885
Monday - Thursday 6pm - 1am / Fri, Sat & Eve of PH 6pm - 2am / Closed on Sundays